Sunday 18 March 2012

Intro

So before I start on this blogging journey I thought I better explain a bit about why I've decided to do this.
The catalyst was a concert, The Civil Wars at The Manchester Academy 2 to be precise. Now when I'd come out of that gig I wanted to share how great it was with people so I tweeted and put a few words on facebook but I just felt like it wasn't enough.
It wasn't enough because for me there weren't enough words and there wasn't enough time. The first part of that statement is self explanatory but what do I mean by wasn't enough time'. I mean these communications were fleeting, you put them out on the crest of a wave and then minutes later they're carried to the shore and lost. It does take a bit longer to get to shore on facebook admittedly but still I wanted almost a diary of my emotions that I could go back to easily even if nobody else does.
Another reason for this blog is that I was finding that words and emotions were coming in waves(back to the sea again, must have been a sailor in a previous life or something) sometimes in the middle of the night with nobody to blurt them out to because the family were asleep.Now I think they'd be pretty miffed if I woke them up banging on about how good I thought something was so it's a lot safer for my marriage if I just make a note in my iphone and then publish all of them together here when the fervour is starting to ebb.

That's why I'm doing this but what's going to be in it? Well as you can probably tell it's going to be about how I'm feeling about certain music in my life whether that's concerts I go to, my own dodgy recordings or just something I'm listening to at that time that's making me feel good. You'll notice I said making me feel good there. I've no interest in slating people and if I don't like something it doesn't normally inspire me to say anything anyway, plus music is very subjective. A bit like when I was a lot younger I listened to a lot of heavy metal and rock and now it's not really high on my playlists because I don't really have that angst inside anymore but it was perfect at the time.

Finally who am I to be so presumptuous that people might want to read this? The short answer to that is nobody really. As I'm getting older I just find I'm doing things I want to because I've lost the worry of embarrassment. I think it's the first stage of the slippery slope to the OAP that gets away with anything 'because they're old'. First thing to go is embarrassment when your middle aged and then when you find that's gone and your features become less and less threatening to people you can pretty much do anything. It starts with a music blog............then 25 years later I'll be farting as I pay at the checkout of Sainsburys and people will just say 'it's alright he's old'.........

No comments:

Post a Comment