Saturday 3 November 2012

Canadian Thunder - Ben Caplan

Now I normally post the blog entry for support and headline together but I enjoyed this gig so much from start to end that I thought I should just do two entries so here goes...

We positioned ourselves near the sound control board in what was the smallest venue we've been too in a while wondering what was in store. We hadn't heard any of Ben Caplan's music because we'd booked the tickets on the strength of Katzenjammers live reputation and albums. The club was dark with just a rainbow of lights to point our eyes to, the Canadian mist rolled in and a shape appeared on the stage. I was trying to make it out but when I heard the deep rumbling roar I realised it was a Lion with bad eyes, it must have been I could see the outline of its mane and glasses.

If there was any doubt in anyones mind as to whether they were going to enjoy Ben Caplan it was soon dispelled maybe it's his deep tones that start involuntary spasms but everyone was moving and whooping straight away. It was obvious he was pulling out all the stops to get the crowd on his side straight away as he had already discovered Manchester's super power of Projectile Vomiting and no one wants to invoke the wrath of The Spew ;]

As he growled and wailed the crowd responded by stomping, nodding, singing and chanting along and I've not seen the first act of the night get people that involved for a long time. Safe to say I was hooked enjoying every strum and rumble, joining in as we all became backing singers or the bass or the drum.
Basically it felt like Ben Caplan kicked down the saloon door stood as a silhouette in the doorway and shouted come on fuckers I dare you not to like me..... we all knew when were beaten.

I'm listening to his album as I write this and I can almost feel the sweaty, close, foot stomping atmosphere from last night all over again and anything that triggers memories like that has got to be great.

So firstly if there's any tickets left for any show he's doing get them quick and then use his album as an audio memoir of the night Ben Caplan revealed your super power and then stomped you into submission.

You can get your fix of Ben Caplan here
http://bencaplan.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment