Sunday 19 January 2014

Stomping Stockport... Mog Stanley & Jo Bywater live and in your face(Literally)

Well it's been a while since I've seen my old friend Stockport. Having spent my College years at Stockport College there was many an end of year pub crawl resurfacing in my head as we wandered around the old town. My 11yr Old daughter said to me it reminded her of Diagon Alley in Harry Potter and I was thinking the same thing but for a different reason. I was trying to search out the elusive Barista Café Bar. In true wizarding style a spell was required to allow this magical musical venue to appear. So we spoke the spell 'Scuze me mate do you know where the Barista Café is' and mysteriously a passer by just pointed up some steps (It wasn't that mysteriously and I think he might have been a bit pissed)....

Once inside we found Rick Stuart (Roots & Fusion helmsman and our host for the evening) happy to great us. The Barista Café Bar had a very cool cosy vibe. We found our seats, close enough to count the nasal hairs of the performers (If they'd have had any which they didn't, trust me I was close enough to check). I am really starting to enjoy these close up and personal gigs (No, not because you can see up peoples noses) as you really do get a chance to talk to the people who are about to produce musical magic before your eyes and we had a cool chat with Jo Bywater while sound stuff was sorted and Mog Stanley got setup.

So I'd checked Mog Stanley out on youtube and was really looking forward to hearing his thumping blues. Basically Mog was sat a couple of feet away acoustic guitar in hand and the box he'd brought his shoes in propping up one foot. Well that's what it looked like to the uninitiated but all was soon revealed as Mog went straight into 'Little Bag of Bones'. A superb tune that has your head moving and foot going as the rythym catches you and takes control. The shoe box propping up Mogs foot was actually a home made stomp box and it sounded ace giving you a punch in the chest while the choppy riffs drove into your ears. The low easy tone of his voice slid inside the lovely bluesy rhythmic sound to produce a sound your body couldn't resist. I reckon trying to keep still while Mog Stanley plays is a bit like trying to eat a fruit pastille without chewing... you just gotta move. Safe to say this was an amazing way to be introduced to my first Roots & Fusion live gig. People of Manchester and beyond go and get stomped on by Mog Stanley, buy the EP and then wear the T Shirt to prove you did it :)

Full on Stomp shot

Gig Vid Link 

Well now what is there left to say about Jo Bywater... You can't help but flow about outstanding music and Jo's music is sublime. Just so you know it's not just me our whole house is hooked on Jo Bywater FM. We took my 11yr old daughter to the gig and I kept checking across to see her face open mouthed in awe of what was playing out just a few feet from her. I'm starting to lose count now how many times I've seen Jo over the last 6 months but I swear the music seems to be growing wings and flying higher while her voice is getting more emotive with every performance. If you read these blogs regularly you will have already bought the Chasing Tales EP (If not shame on you) and if you've not bought it already there are links at the bottom of this page to go get it but the best way is to go experience the music live and buy the CD from Jo herself as a reminder of how great the night was. Nearly forgot well done Jo for sorting the Stomp Box out great to hear it finally, worked a treat :)

 Gig Vid Link


Just remains to say what an absolutely brilliant night we had in this little magical musical oasis that is Barista Café Bar Stockport hosted by the biggest influence on my Ipod playlist at the moment Rick Stuart. Give your musical taste buds the respect they deserve and listen to Roots & Fusion on Pure 107.8 FM Stockport (It's online for those outside Stockport) and then make sure you get yourself to the next Roots & Fusion gig.

To get stomped on by Mog Stanley go here
http://www.mogstanley.com/
& you can buy his music here
http://mogstanley.bandcamp.com/

For bluesy award winning wonderment check out Jo Bywater here
http://www.jobywater.com/
magical music this way
http://jobywater.bandcamp.com/

You can find the Roots & Fusion show here
https://www.facebook.com/rootsandfusion
and on Pure 107.8 FM
http://www.pureradio.org.uk/

To get yourself the best coffee in Stockport
http://baristacafebar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment