Monday 24 March 2014

Are You Experienced Stockport.... Blues to the bone Spider Mike King & Angelo Palladino

So it was Friday night all I had to do was get to Stockport from Sandbach in the remnants of the mad Friday rush... I crashed into the wonderful little musical oasis that is Barista CafĂ© Bar Stockport with camera in hand at 8pm. No worries Angelo Palladino was mid sound check so I quickly grabbed one of the lovely Cappuccino's from the designated Barista and got myself settled. You're always close in this venue even at the back but I made sure there was enough space between me and the stage so the camera didn't end up poking the artists in the eye when I pointed it at them. I really like these intimate gigs you can feel every inch of energy and emotion from whoever is in front of you.

Spider Mike King took to the stage first and settled into the chair which was front & center. I've heard Spider Mike played on the Roots & Fusion radio show and loved what I'd heard. So I was looking forward to hearing this & my eagerness was increased as Spider Mike explained he was going to try some new material for us which was the reason for a few notes in front. I always love when artists try new stuff because you can see them feel their way around finding how the new stuff fits them, it's almost like seeing the finishing touches to the songwriting process, the final little tweaks if you will, a great honour to see the final push from page to performance. Now if I'm going to watch someone play blues it's got to be believable, so not some snotty nosed kid telling me how hard they've worked and how they've payed their dues but as Spider Mike headed into his first couple of songs I was with him enjoying the story telling and part of this was because he had a demeanour that said I've been around & I've got stories to tell. It's always a good sign when the foot starts tapping before I've even realised & I was moving and enjoying every guitar strum right the way through the set. Strangely enough one of the songs that really grabbed me was Serenity which definitely has a more mainstream feel so I was pretty shocked how much I enjoyed it as it's normally the out and out bluesy stuff that floats my boat. Serenity just showed that Spider Mike definitely has more strings to his guitar(or bow if you like). To finish a great start to the night it was back into a blues number with some great fretboard fireworks.

 
Video Link
 
So where do you go from such a good start...
 
There's two things that struck me when I first had a quick chat with Angelo Palladino.. First the dudes older than me so that makes him at least 22 and the other is he's infectious, I just felt like everything was going to be amazing, he just gives off good vibes and excitement. He took to the stage like there was no other space in the room that would fit him. He looked right at home with his array of guitars and amps behind and a big grin up front. He kicked off with Nighthawk a wonderful bluesy riffin tune accompanied by blues harp and one of my favourite tunes from Rick Stuarts Roots & Fusion shows of the past few months. I was fixated with Angelo's performance it's as if he's possessed by the spirit of the blues, it seems to take over his very essence the music being summoned from deep within, you can read it on his face, feel it in his voice and then watch it embrace his whole body. During the first couple of songs I kept looking down at his feet to see where his pedals were, there was nothing there but my ears were hearing what sounded like a change of effect? He was making his guitar sing with different voices by the way he was stroking, strumming, hitting the guitar it was wonderful.  You can probably tell by now I was loving this. It was taking all my energy not to get up and dance for fear of annoying those sat behind me. You just want to move, it's like being under the spell of the Pied Piper, your body is gonna do whatever the music tells it to. I was a foot stomping head nodding puppet throughout. One of the many standout tunes was Angelo's take on the Leadbelly song 'Where did you sleep last night' [this is the song that whenever you try and explain it to people they always say 'Oh you mean the Nirvana song'.. No I don't I mean the f****** Leadbelly song ok!! ;-)] I absolutely love the original and it was great to hear Angelo put his stamp on it. I was trying to figure out how to answer the question 'well who does he sound like' that you're always asked when you're trying to get someone else to listen to them. Firstly he sounds like Angelo Palladino which should be enough but if pushed I keep coming up with a mix of Keith Richards, Robert Cray & Howlin Wolf or maybe I should just say 'go and see him and make up your own mind he will blow you away'.  
 
So people go and see Angelo Palladino he will blow you away.......
 
 
Video Link

 
Finally if you see the names of Spider Mike King or Angelo Palladino on a gig flyer or advert it means your in for one kick ass night so get yourself down there.
Big thanks to Spider Mike King , Angelo Palladino, Rick Stuart (Roots & Fusion) & Phil for doing mystical things to make sure the right magical spell is cast...
 
You can find everything Spider Mike King here (go buy stuff people)..
I recommend The Blood River Sessions Vol 1 which I've been enjoying since the gig :)
 
For a serious dose of Angelo Palladino head here (warning you may never recover)
Angelo is normally carrying 2 CDs around with him.. The Knucklebones EP & Blood, Blues + Bad Dreams Album both are wonderful make sure you get your copy when you go see him
 
To find out what is happening on the mighty fine Roots & Fusion radio show...
 
You can also listen to past Roots & Fusion shows on mixcloud for musical wonderment


No comments:

Post a Comment