Thursday 22 May 2014

Garron Frith & Adrian Nation playing live for Roots & Fusion Stockport

Well now it seems gigs & blogs are coming thick and fast at the moment.... The latest entry is from what is fast becoming one of my favourite live nights. It's really cool if you listen to Rick Stuarts Roots & Fusion show on Pure 107.8 FM to know that it is quite likely you will get to see the people you're hearing up close & personal in a cosy setting courtesy of Rick and Pure 107.8 FM.

We  got to the chilled out CafĂ© Bar nice and early which meant I could get the obligatory cappuccino and position myself & camera right up close to the stage so I can do those right up your nose counting the nasal hairs shots(only kidding I try to be reasonably subtle about pics).

'So stop rambling you git' I hear you say...... alright.. alright I've had one too many coffees tonight...

First up for the evening was Garron Frith.. now this would be the third time I'd seen Garron this year & I was just as stoked(I'm far to old to be using that word) to be watching Garron on this night as I had been the first time I caught him in Sandbach back in January. As soon as he starts playing you can feel the room relax just knowing this is going to be a great evening of music. Garron's sound just eases it's way into your subconscious overriding all programing to just put you in chill mode. It's interesting that people try and pigeon hole his sound as blues, I'm not so sure, I think the lovely tones & lyrics are much more accessible than out and out blues(which I love by the way). The bluesy slidey elements to his songs definitely make it more interesting than just listening to your everyday acoustic songwriter material found in a million other bars that night... no this was definitely something special. I think my personal favourite song is 'Not the Man' from the album 'Away from The Bright Lights' it just gets better and better everytime I hear it live. I will definitely be looking out to see where I can enjoy those soulful/bluesy tones again and put the pressure on Garron to find new jokes in between the songs ;] What a top start to the night.


Vid link
 
When Adrian Nation took to the stage I knew being this close to the front would create some camera angle issues...man the dude is tall. So I snuck to the back to film the vid without permanently damaging my neck. I have heard Adrian Nation played on Roots & Fusion a few times & was looking forward to some wonderful guitar work. I was not disappointed. Adrian has a real deft touch with the guitar and I was simply mesmerized by his hands. I'm pretty sure I had only ever heard instrumentals before so was pleasantly surprised to hear Adrian singing. As the set eased forward I found myself enjoying just being immersed in the sound. It felt like a real escape, a release from the hum drum of everyday life, following the stories being told and letting each pick of a note dance it's merry way into your ears. I have to say I totally loved the cover of the Richard Thompson tune 'Sid James' ;] oh no sorry I mean't 'Vincent Black Lightning' just amazing. This wonderful musical night was over to quick for me but Adrian definitely saved the best until last 'Set Fire to The Sky' is a beautiful painting of a song I just wanted to close my eyes and let the sound wash over me like the tide.
 

Vid Link
 
 
 
It just remains to say go forth and search out places you can see these wonderful artists, your time is precious so make sure you're using it to make your life richer by listening to lovely live music.
 
For all sorts of wall building tips and musical goings on check out Garron Frith here...
 
To find out about different Carry On Actors and how you can fit them into songs as well as great music you will find everything Adrian A Nation here...
 
The wonderful show that is Roots & Fusion can be found on Pure 107.8 FM Stockport on Wednesday  Evening from 9pm UK.
Roots & Fusion info
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment